Friday 9 February 2018

Agbalumo Drink - Version 1

A couple of weeks ago my daughter sent me a picture of a glass of juice, unusual juice! Made from a fruit which is in season from November/December to March/April and usually just eaten as is. It is called agbalumo in Yoruba and udala (udara) in Igbo; in English it is White Star Apple, African Star Apple being a variation and finally the botanical name Chrysophyllum albidum. I had heard that this fruit is particularly good for diabetics (not me but my husband), but personally I don't like its texture and gummyness. But maybe a juice would be more palatable.

So last Sunday I went to a farmers market and saw beautiful ripe agbalumo and decided to buy some and try my hand at this juice.

Fresh Agbalumo

 
 The picture was on Kuluwaz Instagram page here , but no recipe. On to her blog next where there are fabulous recipes, but still no juice. You can find her blog here. So going back to the Instagram post I saw that the original recipe was obtained from kitchenbutterfly and used with some variations. So I headed over to that site, which is here, and found it immediately. Since I had more fruit than stated in the recipe I made my own adjustments.But first I had to find the recipe. 
 

Here is what I used:

14 ripe agbalumo, 2 l water, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 generous tsp ground ginger, 16 green cardamoms, seeds crushed in a small mortar and pods removed, 2 tsp vanilla extract.

How the drink is made:

Wash and cut up the fruit into smallish pieces, leaving the rather large seed in. Place in a rather large pot and add the water and remaining ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat, open lid and allow to cool until warm. 

Line a colander with a draining cloth (cheesecloth or clean dishtowel) and place on a bowl or pot, large enough to take all the liquid.

The cooked fruit and spices draining
When most of the liquid has drained off take the ends of the cloth and twist together in a ball and squeeze out any remaining juice. Due to the nature of agbalumo the leftovers can be used like chewing gum, which children are very fond of!

Next decant the liquid into a suitable bottle and keep in the fridge until thoroughly chilled.


Ready to drink

Technically speaking it is not a juice because of the addition of water but a drink. A very tasty drink, sweet, sour and a little bitter. Truly enjoyable but because of the sugar not really suitable for diabetics.  


4 comments:

  1. Sounds simple and easy to do. Does it lend itself to adding other flavours or perhaps combining with a sweeter fruit to offset the sourness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now all I require is a shipment of agbalumo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone is visiting you before the season is over, let me know and I shall send some!

      Delete
  3. Apparently soursop is a good partner, but I think mango would be nice. That is if you can find any by this time of year. As is it is actually very tasty and most refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Post

THE TASTIEST PINEAPPLE-GINGER JAM

There are many different types of commercial pineapple jams to be had, some good, some bad and others terrible. Most contain preservatives a...